Friday, August 20, 2010

WHAT IS CHEMOTHERAPY LIKE SO FAR?


The day that Lara and our grandchildren left I began feeling very tired. It was August l6, Jeff's
51st birthday and we were looking forward to taking Jeff and Tami out to dinner and celebrate his special day. I took a good nap that afternoon but when I got up I had no appetite. Food tasted awful because of the taste of metal in my mouth. Jeff decided on Pizza Hut for his birthday meal and I figured I would enjoy the salad there. I could hardly eat anything at all and Don, Tami and Jeff were concerned. This didn't stop us from enjoying the evening and having a great time together. So glad that Tami and Jeff live close to us so that we have these times together.

For the next few days I could hardly eat. The doctor told me that even though I wouldn't have an appetite to eat some protein. Also, I was to eat small amounts several times a day. I also needed to drink at least 8 glasses of liquid to help wash out the chemo in my body. I forced myself to do this. I also had pain in my abdomen for 2 days. This wasn't fun. What I found in my first 2 treatments is that out of the 14 days between treatments, I have about 4 days that I am feeling bad. When I think about this, that gives me 10 good days. I can handle this.
I was so glad that my good days were while Lara and my grandchildren were here because I enjoyed them so much.

There are other side effects such as the following:
...Pain in my jaws when I first take a bite of food or drink juice.
...When I tear up my eyeballs really hurt.
...I feel a little wobbly on my feet when I walk.
...I have what is called "chemo brain" when I can't express my thoughts clearly.
...Sensitive fingers.
...Visions a little blurry at times.
...Food doesn't taste as good as it usually does because of the bad taste in my mouth.

So far I haven't lost any hair but this is a possibility. I'm given 3 very strong medications in my chemotherapy. These drugs kill cancer cells that might be left over from my tumor. They took out 24 lymph nodes and found 10 of them had cancer in them. The cancer was ready to go though out my body. It didn't go to any other organs and I'm so grateful for this. Anyway, this is why I'm having both radiation and chemotherapy. It's a very aggressive treatment but the doctors told me that it will give me a good chance of living a long life so it is worth it.

I'm truly grateful that I live in this day and age when all these miracle drugs are available. I also feel blessed that we have such wonderful Oncology facilities here in Grand Junction only 5 minutes away. Some people travel hundreds of miles to Grand Junction to get these same treatments.

My poor body has gone through so much these past few months and I'm so grateful for living the WORD OF WISDOM that has helped my body be as strong and healthy as possible. You can imagine all my deep thinking about life, the Gospel, and my mortality lately. I talk to my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ a great deal. I truly feel their help in all that I'm going through.
All these side affects will go away after my chemotherapy is over.....something to look forward to!! I'm really looking forward to going back to the pool again in November!

This morning I feel good again. I have my appetite back, the pain is gone and my energy is back. I feel like I will be ready for another round of chemo next Tuesday Aug. 24. Keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment